Location : UVT, B-dul V. Pârvan, nr. 4
The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science was founded in 1948 as part of Pedagogical Institute in Timișoara and initially it was a Faculty of Mathematics and Physics.
In 16th October 1962 the Pedagogical Institute has been transformed in University of Timișoara. Within the University of Timișoara has been created the Faculty of Mathematics-Mechanics with the following fields: Geometry, Calculus and Mathematics-Physics. An important moment in the evolution of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics was the starting, in 1971, of the study programmes in Computer Science Field.
In 1974 the Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics together with the Faculties of Physics, Biology and Physical Education were merged into the Faculty of Natural Sciences that existed until 1990 (with study programmes in Mathematics, Informatics, Physics and Mathematics and Physics).
In 1990 the Faculty of Natural Sciences was divided into the Faculty of Mathematics and the Faculty of Physics.
In 2004 the Faculty of Mathematics changed its name in Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science.
During the years, the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science offered study programmes in several fields:
- Mathematics – since 1948
- Computer Science – since 1971
- Mathematics and Physics – between 1981 and 2004
- Computer Science (evening program) – between 1984 and 1992
- Applied Mathematics – between 1992 and 2020
- Pure Mathematics – between 1995 and 2001
- Computer Science College (3 years) – between 1997 and 2002
- Birotics ( 3 years) – between 1997 and 2002
- Mathematics and Computer Science – since 1998
- Computer Science in English – since 2004
- Applied Computer Science – since 2007
In October 2005, according to The Bologna Convention, West University of Timișoara adopted the organisation of higher education in cycles:
- 1st cycle – Bachelor – 3 years
- 2nd cycle – Master – 2 years
- 3rd cycle – PhD – 3 years
The system of transferable credits (ECTS) has been implemented since 1997.
Mathematics and Computer Science are two areas of study which are essential in the development of science and technology, particularly in the current digital era.
Our faculty is committed to offer to its students:
– the possibility to become specialists in the two fields;
– modern, high-level academic, bachelor, master and doctoral programs;
– access to state-of-the-art IT infrastructure and excellent study and research conditions.
The academic community in our faculty has solid experience in teaching and research in the fields of mathematics and computer science.
Dean: professor Daniela ZAHARIE
Vice-Dean: associate professor Cosmin BONCHIȘ
Vice-Dean: lecturer Aurelian CRĂCIUNESCU
Vice-Dean: lecturer Claudia ZAHARIA
Interim Director Dept. Computer Science: lecturer Flavia MICOTĂ
Mathematics Dept. Director: professor Bogdan SASU
Director of Doctoral Studies in Computer Science: professor Gabriel ISTRATE
Director of Doctoral Studies in Mathematics: professor Adina Luminita SASU
Associate Professor Petre BIRTEA
Professor Luminița SASU
104,128,130, A3 (the Faculty of Law building), S5 (the Faculty of Law building).
003, 031, 032, 045C, 050A, 103, 105, F108 și F207.